Sunday, February 3, 2013

Dungu Curried Vegetables and Rice

This dish comes again from one of my favorite African/Afro-Fusion Cookbooks: Taste of Africa by Justice Kamanga

The name of the dish comes from the province of Dungu in The Democratic Republic of Congo.

Dungu Curried Vegetables and Rice
Courtesy: Taste of Africa by Justice Kamanga


2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp medium curry powder
1 tsp gr. cumin
1 tsp gr coriander
1 fresh green chilli, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large red pepper, cubed
1 large green pepper, cubed
1 large yellow pepper, cubed
3 carrots, pelled and sliced
200 g fresh green beans, halved
400 g tomatoes, sliced and fried
150 g frozen peas
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a casserole dish and fry the onion until soft.  Add the curry powder, cumin, coriander, chilli, and garlic and fry for 3 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve on a bed of rice.  Serves 4-6

Now, I rarely let my ingredient stock detour me from making I recipe I want to.  I like to improvise, and if I don't care for an ingredient, I don't use it.  I didn't want all those bell peppers in it so I only used my favorite, red.  I also didn't want to use peas and I didn't have any green beans.  I did have a can of chick peas on hand so I used that for a little protein.  

I really enjoyed this dish. Simple, healthy and satisfying. 


No comments:

Post a Comment