Monday, September 16, 2013

Pharaoh Beef

Pharaoh Beef
Or, as Justice Kamanga calls it in his "Tastes of Africa" cookbook, Spiced Beef Skillet.  I think my name sounds more special and this dish is oh so special.  I am a BIG fan of Justice Kamanga and his "Tastes of Africa" cookbook. I may be his biggest fan, but I'm guessing the people who work at the Italian Embassy in S. Africa are bigger fans, because that is where he is chef!  Lucky ducks.

When I first made this, my husband and I were blown away.  It was just so perfect.  We made it in a 400 degree oven and let all the beef juice and fat cook into the roasted vegetables. So delicious.  I named it "Pharaoh Beef" because Mr. Kamanga writes that in ancient Egypt, this dish was reserved for Pharaohs.

Spiced Beef Skillet a.k.a Pharaoh Beef

1 Tbsp black peppercorns, crushed
1Tbsp mustard seeds (I subbed mustard powder)
1 Tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 lb. (500 g.) beef steak
3 Tbsp butter

Sauce
1/4 c. tahini
1 c. plain yogurt (I like full fat Fage Greek yogurt)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. (200 degrees C.) I know its not the same but...sorry.

Mix together the peppercorns, mustard and coriander seeds, then coat the fillet with the mixture.  Heat the butter in a frying pan, sear the meat on all sides, then transfer to a roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes.  We already had carrots, onions and baby potatoes roasting for about 20 or so minutes and then added the beef to this.

Let the meat rest for 10 min. before slicing.  Make the sauce during this time. Gently mix all ingredients until smooth.

Slice the meat thinly and arrange on a platter with the roasted vegetables and some sort of a fresh vegetable or leafy green salad.  We served ours with the recommended Cucumber and Baby Marrow (zucchini) Salad. Serve beef and vegetables with the sauce.






No comments:

Post a Comment