Saturday, January 26, 2013

Easy Samosa Inspired Snack

Samosa's are an Indian treat but are very popular in the cities of Tanzania and other areas of East Africa, I'm sure.  I first had Samosas at the Dar es Salaam Airport. They were the BEST! Of course, I had never had them before, but they will always be the BEST! One of the condiments on the table was Heinz Spicy Ketchup and it was the perfect paring.  A while back, I tried to make Samosa's the traditional way, using deep frying, but it was difficult and they fell apaprt.  I have also tried to bake them using puff pastry but they were a little dry.



Above: Deep Frying Samosas.  Don't get me wrong, these were very tasty...they just fell apart.


 I discovered that I still had some Samosa seasoned ground beef left in the freezer, left over from the deep frying attempt.  I also remembered that I had egg roll wrappers in the freezer.  I did not feel like deep frying so I tried to think of another way to make Samosa's.  Quite a few years ago, I made a healthier version of Crab Rangoons (cheese wantons)from a recipe on weightwatchers.com.  I decided to use this technique to make very easy and delicious (and creamy) Samosa style snacks.

Ingredients:
egg roll skins (find them near the tofu usually)
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 carrot- minced
1/2 med. onion- minced
1 container garden veggie- or regular- cream cheese
2 tsp. curry
1 tsp. tumeric
1/4 tsp. cayenne

Sauce:
1 Tbs. Siracha Hot Sauce
1/2 c. Ketchup
1/4 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 tsp. Cayenne
1/4 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce

Brown the ground beef in a non-stick pan that is large enough to encourage good browning. Use medium-high heat. I have really learned the importance of good browning.  Don't stir the meat too much, or chop it up while its browning.  Browning=flavor. After the meat is browned add the minced veggies and seasonings. Let those briefly sauté.  Turn off the heat and add the cream cheese.




 Lightly spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray. Place one wonton wrapper in each muffin hole. Fill each wrapper with approximately 1-2 Tbsp. of the filling. Bake in the oven at 375 until edges are a light, golden brown.  About 15 minutes? Meanwhile, mix the sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment